In 1872, shortly after the Civil War ended, Brinton Franklin Walter took over a water-driven mill on what is now South Bridge Street in Christiana, Pennsylvania. Brinton offered custom grinding of feed to the young but growing town of Christiana. Later, as his business grew and diversified, he began to offer building materials, feed and coal.
In 1936, in the midst of the Great Depression, Brinton's two sons Robert and Charles Walter took over the company, later joined by George Walter upon his return from serving in World War II. Robert and George, along with a third partner, Brinton Jackson, incorporated as Walter and Jackson, Inc. in the state of Pennsylvania. With hard work, honesty and integrity, the company began to grow and prosper.
Over the years Walter & Jackson has grown to three locations, including a design center in Christiana. Each lumberyard location is equipped with a state-of-the-art design showroom, a well-trained and knowledgeable staff and a large in-stock assortment of lumber, hardware and building materials. We still stick to our core principles of honesty, integrity and hard work.
Our Christiana branch is our oldest and largest facility. It carries a complete line of lumber, millwork, hardware and building materials. We recently completed our Design Showroom in Christiana. It features breath-taking kitchen and bath displays, custom millwork of all types, custom wood flooring, windows, doors and more.
Our corporate offices, in Christiana are responsible for the administrative and financial functions. Our Drafting and Estimating team is a corporate function as well. We also maintain a 26-acre lumberyard and distribution facility which serves as the main hub for all locations.
Quarryville has a complete selection of lumber, hardware, plumbing and building materials. In addition, Quarryville carries a full line of masonry products including sand, gravel, flue liners, block and cement. They also specialize in decks and decking products of various types.